The Dusty Dog

Saturday, April 15, 2006

Firefly, With A Message


Every once in a while, I come across a quote that sticks, has meaning, is a keeper. The latest one came from one of the characters in an episode of Firefly that I was watching last night. I don't know its origin, so, if anyone knows, please fill me in.
"Goverment is a body of people usually ungoverned."
With our American government running amok right now, this just rang so true. Fact is, those in control just make it up as they go along, lying and spinning and dodging and spinning and lying and....... you get my drift.

Firefly is a discontinued SciFi Network series about a crew of thieves on an old space ship, named Serenity. They fly around from one planet to another, searching for one job after another, with the intention of keeping Serenity capable of flying, and thereby maintaining their collective lifestyle. At the same time, being the bandits that they are (in a Robin Hood kind of way), they are always dodging the Alliance, the baddies who happen to control Space in a police-state kind of way.

It's a great show. Very formula, but fun and well done. And, the character development is superb. I have been renting the episodes from Netflix. When I run out of episodes, I've got the sequel movie, Serenity, in my Netflix queue for automatic delivery. When I've watched them all, I'll be sad, as I will have no more to look forward to viewing. One can only hope that the series gets resurrected, and in the same spirit and quality as the original. Firefly is great. I give it a ton of stars.

1 comment(s):

I'm a superfan of the show, soon you will join the sad group of people that call themselves 'browncoats'. We collectively mourn our show and pray for sequels and/or renewal of the show.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:06 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home