The Dusty Dog

Sunday, July 23, 2006

They Both Make Me Sick

I came across this WaPo QT video of a panorama of the destruction of a suburb of Beirut.

I'm having a hard time thinking about what is happening in Lebanon. But, I just keep having to ask, "Why the hell did Hezbollah kill and abduct Israeli soldiers, and start firing missles at northern Israel in the first place?" Isn't this something that's getting lost in the discussion? Maybe, I'm missing something, given that the pablum that we get from mainstream media tends to simplify issues into sound bites, boiling the world's issues down to a "he said, she said" scenario.

I really hate what the Hezbollah stand for, that being the total destruction of Israel. Period. They had no provocation for their bombings. None.

But, it really saddens me that Israel's response has been so destructive. It's like pouring gasoline on a fire to put it out. Conversely, it angers me that Hezbollah keeps firing rockets into Israeli communities. Therefore, I continue to remain very ambivalent over the whole issue. Both sides suck. It's just easier for me to continue thinking that.

Israeli-Lebanon border prayer for peace (from Global Gayz)

5 comment(s):

It's been a nightmare here Di... for all three sides... don't forget Gaza....
Dear sweet Condi is arriving today with a new shipment of bombs and a promise to let Israel continue the bombing for at least another week...
I knew we could count on America...
It's just sickening!
Hope you are well...

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:21 PM  

I am well, Steve. Thanks. And, I like your new avatar.

As for the dubya cockroaches, it's just same shit, different day, different venue. I'm sure they're gonna try to use this conflict to detract from the Iraq debaucle, and hopefully win seats in the midterm elections. They are totally without scruples.

By Blogger Dusty Dog, at 12:26 PM  

I have to agree the whole thing sucks. It saddens me so much. Hezbollah, in my opinion, sucks even more than Israel on it's worst day. And the Lebanese have to realize, though they don't, that Hezbollah is also THEIR enemy. The Hezbollah thug terrorists are the puppets doing the dirty work of Syria and Iran. They MUST be dismantled. If not, the Lebanese and the Israeli's are both in trouble. And, I also think a cease-fire would only give the Hezbollah a chance to re-arm. I also know that if they kill all these thugs in southern Lebanon, Syria and Iran will have thousands more to replace them. I'M SO CONFUSED AND DISHEARTENED!!! Any solutions, anyone? Oy v'voy!!!!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:14 PM  

What do you do if a democratic election brings a Hamas to power or a Hezbollah into Parliament? Does a nation have a right to elect a Hitler? (Hitler wasn't elected of course, he was appointed.) I don't know what the answer is, but I don't think Israel has it either. To destroy so much of Lebanon's infrastructure in the hope it will turn people against Hezbollah isn't very bright, but then is Israel really employing collective punishment against Lebanon? Or is this like attacking Iraq because of September 11?

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:50 PM  

Mike, I made the exact same comparison between Iraq and Lebanon, but decided to not write it, because ...... I don't know why. I guess I'm just too busy trying to maintain my ambivalence. :-(

By Blogger Dusty Dog, at 9:28 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home