The Dusty Dog

Sunday, July 23, 2006

This Week's Obsession

Buying a new camera can be quite the obsession. I'd imagine that it wouldn't be quite as bad if I had a ton of money, could buy the best lens kit available and not feel like I'd be making a mistake. But, my budget is tight. Very, very tight. So, I obsessed. What camera? What lens? What if the lens isn't right? Should I see about some kind of deal on ebay? Should I upgrade to a dSLR? What about telephoto capabilities without the stabilized long lens of the dSLR-like Panasonic FZ30? On and on and on, I obsessed.

For the past week, every time I got on the computer I was researching cameras. Ever since I trashed my camera by falling overboard with it (Short Hiatus From Blogging, June 10, 2006), I've been obsessing about getting a new camera, what kind to get, should I upgrade to a dSLR, etc., etc., etc. However, I could not purchase anything until I got a reimbursement check from my employer to replace the camera, as I was working at the time it, and I fell into the drink.

I was hardly even following news events. Choosing and ordering a camera replaced any interest whatsoever that I would have otherwise had for blogging about politics. Every once in a while I'd read the news today, oh boy, and it was as depressing as ever. Nice to know that dubya is his consistantly stupid cockroach self. The blogosphere just had to proceed without me. I needed a new camera, after all.

Well, my money arrived this past week, so I bought a camera today. I upgraded to a Nikon D50, a dSLR that is so highly rated for an entry level dSLR, wherein the dpreview site reviewer claimed it to be "a pleasure" to use. It was on back order, so it's not going to be delivered for 2-3 weeks.

A friend of mine uses a D50 when he doesn't feel like hauling around his D200. Geez, I wish I could have such decisions to make. A D200 costs $1,000 more than the D50. I'll not have such a dilemma. But, he really encouraged me to make the leap. But, not before I continued to obsess for at least another week.

Below is a photo I took a few years ago at the New York Botanical Garden. It was taken with an Olympus 2100, my handy dandy great camera at the time. I look forward to going back to there with my new Nikon, and see what kind of results I can accomplish.

1 comment(s):

Looking forward to some great photos!
Glad it didn't take long to get the new camera...

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:47 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home