The Dusty Dog

Sunday, November 13, 2005

Winter Is Coming To Fire Island

 


When the geese are flying in formation, that means one of two things. Either they are coming, or they are going. Given the time of year, they are going. As beautiful as these birds are, and as magnificent as they look when in flight, I bid them good riddance. I get tired of trying, rather fruitlessly, to avoid stepping in their dog-sized droppings all over the place. At least we'll have some respite from these damned birds.

However, another portent of their goings is, of course, winter. Winter is not my favorite time of year. As beautiful as newly fallen snow may be, I really hate the white shit. And, I hate being cold. I look forward to the coming of the damned birds again, as I care more about being warm than stepping on their miserable droppings. I guess you cannot have it both ways. Posted by Picasa

1 comment(s):

damned birds!?!

I love the poopin' beasties. I love them in flight, waddling around on land and in the water. I love what they do for the soil. I love that they are starting to winter over in the lower latitudes. If their populations increase enough, fox and coyote are sure to follow.

The passenger pigeon flocks used to blacken the sky for days on end (leaving inches of droppings everywhere). The Iroquois used every bit of them to survive - much like the buffalo. They were slaughtered, much like the buffalo.


"When the birds existed in large numbers, the acorns on which they subsisted would have been too scarce to support the large populations of deer mice that flourish today. These rodents are the main reservoir of Lyme's disease, and the acorns make up a significant part of their diet."

From an interesting site :
http://news.mongabay.com/2005/1114-tina_butler_pigeon.html


see ya. Sue

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:56 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home