The Dusty Dog

Monday, May 01, 2006

Rock and Rule, Colbert!

I hesitated to write about this because it's all over the blogisphere, but I just couldn't help myself. I decided to write about it because the fact of the matter is that Stephen Colbert made history Saturday evening at the White House Correspondence Dinner. He did what no one has not only not ever accomplished, but what no one has even ever dared to do. He stood up in front of a gasping, gaping dinner crowd and dished out insult after insult after insult directed at the dubya regime. The insults were packaged in his typical, cynical, O'Reilly-esque satirical style. Colbert did it with mastery and he did it with abject determination. He is KING OF THE HILL right now, and he deserves it. He earned it. He RULES!!!

If you have not yet seen the video or read the transcripts, it is a must see. As in, MUST SEE. The complete links can be found at Democratic Underground, so hurry your lil' puters over there, and get to watching.

Some of my absolute favorite Colbert lines are:
I believe in pulling yourself up by your own bootstraps. I believe it is possible -- I saw this guy do it once in Cirque du Soleil. It was magical.

I mean, nothing satisfies you. Everybody asks for personnel changes. So the white house has personnel changes. Then you write they're just rearranging the deck chairs on the titanic. First of all, that is a terrible metaphor. This ships not sinking.
This administration is soaring. If anything, they are rearranging the deck chairs on The Hindenburg...

C'mon. Jesse Jackson is here. I had him on the show. Very interesting and challenging interview. You can ask him anything, but he’s going to say what he wants at the pace that he wants. It's like boxing a glacier. Enjoy that metaphor, because your grandchildren will have no idea what a glacier is.

So don't pay attention to the approval ratings that say 68% of Americans disapprove of the job this man is doing. I ask you this, does that not also logically mean that 68% approve of the job he's not doing?
Did I not say he's THE Master? Of course, one of the most amazing things about this is that the mainstream media isn't even covering this. They are doing what they have been doing since the dubya cockroaches took the reigns of the White Wash, I mean House. That is, reporting nothing but approved pablum. It's why I rarely go to any MSM anymore to get news. I go to get the gist of what's happening during the day, then to the blogisphere to get the real news.

Having said that, a really good news take on the event was published in one of my favorite news sources, Editor & Publisher. They wrote a seemingly excellent synopsis of the evening's events, Colbert Lampoons Bush at White House Correspondents Dinner -- President Not Amused?, complete with every George and Laura cringe. Excellent piece, though I wouldn't exactly call Editor & Publisher mainstream media. Honestly, I'm not really sure what they are. But, I like 'em. And, I love Stephen.......

Stephen Colbert, YOU ROCK!!!!!!!

1 comment(s):

Awesome!!!

I still think Jon Stewart is funnier, though...

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:05 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home