The Dusty Dog

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Off for other worldly things...............

I'm leaving town for a couple of days. Not a vacation, unfortunately, but rather a business trip. I like business trips. They help to invigorate my interest in my job, and this particular trip, though bound to be boring as all get out at times, is also necessary for me to learn more about one aspect of my job.

I'm a geographic informations systems coordinator for the place that I work, which shall continue to remain nameless. GIS is computerized mapping. It's about collecting spatial data in order to create databases of specific aspects of locations, like plants and animals, their habitats, or developments, or shoreline changes, or fault lines, or whatever. The data is used to learn, study, explore relationships, organize, and monitor natural systems, all of which is connected to my job. I absolutely love it.

That was a really brief description of GIS, for sure. An even more simplistic explanation is that I make pretty maps. I use everything from shorelines, elevation contours, vegetation mapping, species locations, developments, satellite imagery, etc., all to make these maps.

So, I'm off for a few days. My readers should not worry about me. I'll be back and I'll be writing again in about one week. Maybe sooner. Fact is, I have become somewhat of a blogoholic. Not only about writing and designing my own blog, but also about reading others' blogs. I'll actually miss it all for the week. But, I'm sure I'll be keeping busy with other more worldy things.

2 comment(s):

Thanks for keeping us posed... you'll be missed.
Have a great week.... Loveya!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:47 AM  

I'm a blogaholic too! I can't live without blogahol (kudos to anyone who gets that Simpsons reference)!

But seriously, way to go on your template! It looks amazing! Your blog has motivated me to spend some more time fixing up my template...although so far all I've done is got the links in order.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:24 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home