The Dusty Dog

Saturday, January 21, 2006

Podcasting




I've been experimenting today. It started a few days ago, however, when I decided to change my Palm Zire71 SD card from a 64MB one to a 512MB card. Now, that I've got tons of space, I figured maybe listening to some music or radio podcasts or something would be a good way to go. Problem is, I had no idea about what was involved. Time to learn.

I went to Best Buy and bought a really cheap set of earphones. If I decide that I like the idea of listening, and the cheapos are too cheap, I can always buy a better set. Then, I downloaded a trial version of Pocket Tunes from Palmgear. I need some reasonable software to use. If I like the listening, and I want to keep it for more than 15 days, I'll register it for the grand price of $15.00. So, these were my most major investments. Not bad.

Next, I had to figure out how to actually get the media. I certainly know how to download music MP3's, but getting more magazine related stuff was going to take some investigation. So, if the dubya dummies feel like monitoring my google searches, BRING IT ON! They'll find me attempting to download predominantly left wing, anti neocon, liberally oriented material. But, I guess from this blog, if they've noticed it, they already know I hate them ALOT. But, as usual, I digress..........

My first google link took me to Podcast.net. It didn't take me long to figure out that I needed some software to actually subscribe to the podcasts of my choosing. I chose iTunes, first, as it is one of the more prominant programs which most sites seem to use and/or recommend. I already had iTunes, but it was so out of date that I had to first download the latest, greatest version. Sho nuff, the program has an entire podcast function, and the iTunes site is a great place to get podcasts. No wonder people so hightly recommend it. Another good site is Podcast Shuffle.

But, iTunes has one problem on my computer, and I don't know why. It tends to hang, and I hate when that happens. So, I searched for another program, and found Juice. It's a rather slick website, and the program seemed pretty good, so I downloaded it. I like iTunes better for now, because it's more user-friendly.

This is so easy, really. My podcast subscriptions of choice are NPR: All Songs Considered, NPR: Story of the Day, The President's Weekly Radio Address (parody), Mother Jones Radio, and The Onion Radio News.

I'm having fun.

4 comment(s):

Having trouble posting for some reason, so I hope this isn't a dupicate.

You're having fun and learning more tech info in 5 minutes than I've accumulated in a lifetime. Good thing my wife knows comps. and other techware.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:45 PM  

Nope. Not a duplicate. Yup. I'm having fun. Computers are both my professional tool (AutoCAD, ArcGIS, Photoshop, and assorted MS Office stuff) and a hobby (blogging, image editing, whatever). Surprising to me that I've actually taken so long to finally get on the podcasting bandwagon.

It is a good thing your wife knows computers. She sounds like a keeper. :-)

By Blogger Dusty Dog, at 12:05 AM  

I envy you young folks Dusty ;)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:41 AM  

Desertpeace, I guess all things are relative. hehehehe

By Blogger Dusty Dog, at 9:50 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home