The Dusty Dog

Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Having a Broken Ankle

In essence, it sucks. I know there are worse things, but it still sucks.

I broke it when I was playing with my gigundo German Shepherd, Zuki. We were running around the yard, ducking, running, cutting, body slamming, etc. We always play like that. Anyway, she was running towards me, so I cut away from her. My ankle just seemed to collapse, at which point, Zuki slammed into me. It's kind of vague, but that's what I think happened. I hit the ground, and just laid there for a minute. I said, “Zuki, I'm in trouble.”

After calling a friend, who then called an ambulance, all being quite high drama, I was sent home with my leg in a posterior splint, diagnosed with a Grade 3 sprained ankle, and instructed to see an orthopedist as soon as possible. Which I did, the following day.

The orthopod confirmed the diagnosis, and told me to weight bear as tolerated, but to keep the posterior splint on. I continued to use the crutches, because walking with the splint is all but impossible. After a week and a half, I saw the orthopod again, who then ordered an MRI, because my ankle was not getting better, and I hurt in places that should not have hurt. The MRI came back positive for a talus neck fracture, a broken ankle. Apparently, it's not uncommon for non-displaced talus fractures to be misdiagnosed as sprains, because it's also not uncommon for them to not show on standard x-rays. Just my luck.

I now have a lovely blue short leg cast, with instructions to not bear any weight on my ankle until the cast is removed, hopefully in 3-4 weeks. Also apparently, talus fractures tend to have this lousy consequence of developing into avascular necrosis. However, non-displaced talus fractures are not very likely to go that route, and non-weight bearing is an assurance that it will heal without complications. The last thing I need is complications, so I'm being very compliant. Oh God, I hate crutches.

In fact, the worst thing now about having a broken ankle is using crutches. Everything is complicated by crutches. Have you ever walked on a sandy beach with crutches? Trust me, it's not advisable. Carrying coffee, cleaning the house, going to work, just getting from here to there is a major challenge. Crutches suck! My biggest fear from the crutches is developing a shoulder tendinitis that, in turn, develops into an adhesive capsulitis. I've been there. I've done that. It ain't pretty. It happened after I broke my foot in 1998, and walked on crutches for six weeks. That was worse than the broken foot. Much, much worse. I do not want a re-play.

One thing I'm not is stoic. I HATE THIS.

1 comment(s):

Sorry to hear that. It mustsuck

Sam

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:06 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home